Monday, August 17, 2009

Teaching in Chuisic

(This year, as a fluent Spanish speaker, Carla decided to teach English three mornings per week in Chuisuc instead of studying Spanish with the other Hoops students. Here is an entry about her experiences.)

Teaching English in Chuisuc has been a great experience. The kids are very smart and have great attitudes.

I teach on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. (5th graders) and 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. (6th graders). The classes give me the opportunity to talk the students more than the basketball camps and get to know more about their lives.

It is unbelievable the dedication and respect they have for learning, their teachers and their peers. This makes teaching easier for me, since I have to teach about 45 students per grade.

I just started teaching with 5th graders today and so far they are great. They have learned the alphabet and numbers 1-20. I have been teaching the 6th graders for about 3 weeks. They are very fun and we have a great time together. When I'm having a bad day or something, just talking to them makes so much better. They had their firs exam on the numbers 1-100 and all A's!

I am very thankful for the opportunity because I feel as if I'm helpth them better themselves by learning another language. I know that when the teaching period ends, I will most likel shed some tears because I'm going to miss my kids and we've made a connection and when it's time to say good-bye, it will be hard.

No comments: