Thursday, August 7, 2008

Chirijquiac

(This is a third in a series of posts by our students. This is by Jasmine, a first-time Hoops participant. Jasmine is at Chirijquiac with Stan, Brandon, Ronald and Akasha).

When I arrived at the airport with the Hoops Sagrado program, I was expecting a unique experience. This opportunity to explore Guatemala would mean speaking and going to school to learn Spanish.

I heard about the many different types of camps that the participants of the program would be going to. However I had know idea which one I would be going to. I couldn't wait to find out. It turns out I was selected to go to a camp named Chrijquiuac.

I was told my camp was the furthest away out of all the camps and that to reach I would have to leave early from class. I was confused and nervous about what will happen at camp. MAN! People were not playing when they said that it was far away. The ride took forever!

Anyway my group which included Stan, Brandon, Ronald, and Akasha finally arrived to the village. Immediately after stepping off of the bus, the children running up to us and pulling me away with them as they walked to camp.

Now I understood what people meant when they said I would be the "new" Brittney. I only knew a little bit of Spanish, but understood that the girls were calling me Brittney. I said no and the girls got sad and asked me what my name was. I told them my name was Jasmine, they started to laugh and whisper among themselves.

I felt kind of out-of-place because I spoke no Spanish, had no idea what to do, and had neither Ronald or Akasha to help me translate. So initially I just sat down and watched everybody play.

Some of the girls walked up to me and asked me my name. I replied and they giggled. One girl asked where was Brittney and I said "No Se" and "Estados Unidos". The girl got sad and she asked was I her sister. I said no and she just looked at me. She then saw my hair and said in Spanish "Como su pelo." I just heard the pelo part and said "si". She then started to touching it. Then more girls soon followed. Brandon soon called out ¨Chicas¨ and the girls ran away from me.

Ever since that day, I loved my camp, and all the kids that we had. Even though I never got to know all their names, they knew mine (felt very bad), and we all started friendships. I just hope that I can come back to Hoops Sagrado. I enjoy Chiriquiac and I hope they do well in the tournament. Words cannot describe how

I got so attached to these girls. I really enjoy the innocence and playfulness of the children. I just wish that I can take them all home with me, even though I don't know them that well. I really happy that I am participating in the program, and looking forward to working with the children again in the future.

No comments: