Friday, August 8, 2008

Pachaj

(This is the final posting from our four basketball camps. The camp at Pachaj includes Jordyn, Jerrod, Connor, Imani and Bookie.)

Everyday at Pachaj we are greeted with a smile and hugs. When we finally reach the court the fun begins. Everyday we start off with layups and lots of running. The smiles on the kids faces definitely make the death defying walk up the hill worth it.

Sometimes they give us fruit and water. It really shows how much appreciation they have for us coming to there camp. In are camps there are a lot of girls that wear tipica during practice. To see girls playing basketball in heels and a skirt that symbolizes who they are.They play in clothes they are really suppose to play in. And also the fact that some of them have to work in farm fields or at home.

Teaching these kids basketball is a great experience and we wish that we can work with them everyday but we have to leave eventually. We had to cut the kids that made us sad but the kids were ok with it they still had smiles on there faces which brightened are day.

One thing that made me look at things differently is when one of the girls didn't have tennis shoes because they were to expensive. It made me a take a step back and appreciate my life more then I do now because not everyone is as fortunate. I hope we get to work with the kids next year because they were extremely grateful for us being at there school and we appreciated them being there too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lets go team pachaj

Anonymous said...

lets go team pachaj

Anonymous said...

Mindy- we miss your updates!Be safe on your travels returning home!

Anonymous said...

This trip has changed me and my views on life. Oklahoma was my inspiration and I know he has a big future ahead of him. I appreciate Bryan and Mindy for alloying me to have this experience.